If you’re looking for a challenging exercise to strengthen your core and improve your posture, look no further than the Superman plank exercise. This advanced variation of the traditional plank involves lifting your arms and legs off the ground simultaneously, creating a “flying” position that targets your abs, back, and glutes.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the Superman plank exercise, including how to perform it correctly, common mistakes to avoid, benefits, variations, and progressions, and how to incorporate it into your workout routine.
What is the Superman Plank Exercise?
The Superman plank exercise is a variation of the traditional plank that targets your abs, back, and glutes. It is named after the superhero, Superman, who is known for his ability to fly. The exercise involves lifting your arms and legs off the ground simultaneously, creating a “flying” position that challenges your core and upper and lower back muscles.
Hence, the muscles worked in the superman plank exercise are the upper and lower back muscles which include the trapezius and lattismus dorsi.
How to Perform the Superman Plank Exercise?
Here’s how to do the Superman plank exercise:
- Start in a plank position with your forearms on the ground and your elbows directly under your shoulders.
- Keep your core engaged and your body in a straight line from head to heels.
- Lift your right arm and left leg off the ground simultaneously, keeping them straight and parallel to the ground.
- Hold for a few seconds, then lower your arm and leg back down to the starting position.
- Repeat with your left arm and right leg.
- Alternate between lifting your opposite arm and leg for 8-10 reps on each side.
Common Mistakes to Avoid-
To ensure that you are performing the Superman plank exercise correctly and safely, avoid these common mistakes:
- Arching your back: Keep your back straight and avoid arching it upwards or downwards.
- Raising your hips: Keep your hips level with the rest of your body and avoid raising them too high.
- Holding your breath: Breath in and out slowly and steadily throughout the exercise.
- Overextending your limbs: Keep your limbs straight but avoid overextending them to prevent injury.
Benefits of the Superman Plank Exercise
The Superman plank exercise offers a number of benefits, including:
- Improved posture: The exercise targets your upper and lower back muscles, which can help improve your posture and reduce back pain.
- Strengthened core: The exercise targets your abs, which can help strengthen your core and improve your overall stability and balance.
- Increased flexibility: The exercise involves stretching your arms and legs, which can help increase your flexibility over time.
- Challenged muscles: The exercise is a challenging variation of the traditional plank and can help increase the strength of your abs, back, and glutes.
Variations and Progressions of the Superman Plank Exercise
If you’re looking to increase the difficulty level or target different muscles, here are some variations and progressions of the Superman plank exercise:
- Single-leg Superman plank: This variation involves lifting one leg off the ground at a time while keeping the opposite arm lifted.
- Side Superman plank: This variation involves lifting your arm and leg off the ground while twisting your torso to the side.
- Dynamic Superman plank: This variation involves alternating between lifting your opposite arm and leg while adding a jump or hop at the top of the movement.
How to Incorporate the Superman Plank Exercise into Your Workout Routine?
Here are some ways you can incorporate the Superman plank exercise into your workout routine:
- Warm-up: Use the exercise as part of our warm-up routine before your main workout to activate your core and back muscles.
- Strength training: Incorporate the exercise into your strength training routine by adding it to a circuit of bodyweight exercises or pairing it with other core exercises.
- HIIT: Use the exercise as part of a high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout by performing it for 30 seconds to a minute, followed by a short rest period, and then repeating for several rounds.
- Yoga: Incorporate the exercise into your yoga practice by adding it to your sun salutation sequence or holding it as a static pose.
The Superman plank exercise is an advanced variation of the traditional plank that challenges your core and back muscles while improving your posture and flexibility. By adding this exercise to your workout routine, you can strengthen your core, improve your stability and balance, and reduce back pain.
Whether you’re a beginner or an advanced fitness enthusiast, the Superman plank exercise is a great addition to any workout routine. So, give it a try and feel the power of this superhero-inspired exercise!
So this was the end of the article- 6 Easy Steps: How to do Superman Plank Exercise I hope you liked it, if so, kindly read our other articles too-
How to do a Cable Trunk Twist? 7 Simplified Steps!
Scapular Pull-ups: 3 Benefits, Muscles Worked, and How to Do Scapular Pull-ups
How To Do Cable Pull Through? 5 Easy Steps to Glute Cable Pull Through!